Friday, August 17, 2007

Sorry About This

This is just the standard "first post testing" post, the one where I post just to see how a post will look on the site... Sorry if you were expecting something more. To be frank though, knowing my blogging track record, I probably won't ever make it past this first post. Somewhat sad, don't you think? All too-often I find myself with these grand ideas of being a real, honest-to-irrelevance "blogger," only to find my attention as well as my available free time far too short. I can't say for certain, but I'm thinking some of the blame may fall on 'themes.' You see, I consider myself an altogether complex person (though I imagine that if you were to ask anyone, they'd probably consider themselves the same), with interests in an extreme assortment of topics and categories. And as far as I'm concerned, almost all of the best blogs I've ever read have been fairly focused: Tales From The Pantry is fantastically devoted to the everyday life of a somewhat forgotten vocation, Josh In Japan would be nothing were it not entirely based in Japanese topics, An Obsession With Food and Orangette get read for covering perhaps my most favorite of topics, and even not-entirely focused Websnark is absolutely at it's best when it zooms in solely on the drama-laden world of webcomics. Bearing that in mind, why shouldn't I be interested in narrowing my focus? So time and time again I've set out to start a highly focused blog to outlet my desire to get my word out into the world. But you know what I've learned? I can't just sit down and write continually on food, or politics, or religion, or music... I get bored and find myself more interested in writing about something altogether unrelated. So let's give this a shot. This is just going to be me. I can't promise it will be good, and I certainly can promise you it will be unfocused and far from any real sense of organization. I wouldn't even really even expect to see more than a few entries here, sadly. But (and yes, I know you shouldn't start a sentence that way), I need to give it a try. I used to run a moderately popular website which highlighted blog-esque rantings, and I've missed the feeling I get from putting my thoughts into text ever sense it's collapse. So if you somehow found yourself here, stick around and give it a chance - hopefully it will be a worthwhile time for you and me both.

No comments: